Monday, July 5, 2010

Baby bonding

It is so funny how when Andrew nurses now his hands are in constant motion. He's constantly reaching for and playing with my necklace and seems to always be in search of my hands. It's pretty routine now when he nurses that he plays with my fingers. What a silly little guy :)  It's just so sweet too.
We've now made it 5 months and it's been such a pleasant change from the girls. I only nursed them the first month (never would latch, took a looooong time to eat, and ALWAYS fell asleep before finishing) and then pumped and bottled fed them for three months. I also had a terrible case of mastitis that still has lingering affects. Thankfully this time I have a great eater on my hands and haven't had any issues with infections! 
Along with nursing also comes an extra bond between mommy and son! Drew gets limited bottles so he's with me A LOT!! This of course was very overwhelming in the beginning!! But now he eats and then depending on the time of day either goes to sleep or sits up with a big grin ready to play.
Mommy is definitely number in his book!! :)  Sorry Daddy.
 I can almost always get little man to smile and giggle. Just last night as we were all winding down for the evening ( Daddy was holding Drew, and I was on the computer),  Drew was just staring and giggling at me! It was hilarious because I wasn't doing anything at all and he was just belly laughing. I, of course, had to put the computer down and grab my baby boy. :)
It's obviously very different when you have one baby who you can cuddle and spoil ALL the time!! I think we definitely gave the girls the best attention and cuddling that we could as infants but obviously with two it was A LOT harder and required A LOT more effort!!  Daddy sure didn't have a choice in helping out with the girls but this time I pretty much take almost sole care over Andrew (yes daddy does get his cuddle time in) but Daddy does his share by helping out with the big girls :)
The difference between caring for a single infant and preemie twin infants has definitely been huge. I would have never appreciated this difference without our little Drew. With twin infants you are in constant survival mode. With Drew, I am getting to appreciate more of the little things and slow down a little bit (not to mention we aren't new parents anymore either)

I wouldn't change either experience for the world though!!
Each pregnancy and infant experience has it's own special uniqueness about them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment